October 2 Update: Distress Centre’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic
Distress Centre continues to support Calgarians by providing 24/7 crisis and 211 phone support, daily chat and ConnecTeen text support. Counselling sessions are being conducted by phone and video. If you need help, please reach out.
Up-to-date information is critical during rapidly changing times like these. If you are a community partner in the Calgary area and are modifying your services during the pandemic, please email email@example.com to have your information updated in the 211 database. We ask that you please encourage anyone needing information on resources to visit www.ab.211.ca or to call or text INFO to 2-1-1.
We encourage anyone who is interested in learning more about needs and unmet needs across the province to visit the 211 Alberta COVID-19 Data Dashboard.
Contact Numbers/Stats – January 26-August 31, 2020:
- The number of high-risk crisis and 211 contacts has increased. We experienced a concerning 55% increase in suicide-related contacts in August 2020 compared to August 2019, and a 24% increase from January 26-August 31 compared to the same time period last year. In August 2020, suicide was the fifth top issue on crisis contacts
- However, emergency interventions held steady compared to 2019. This trend began in June and continued throughout the summer
- COVID-19 remains a top issue on Distress Centre’s 211 contacts. In August, 61% of 211 contacts were related to COVID-19, and 7% of crisis contacts were related to COVID-19
- Our contact volumes have increased as well. The increase is mainly being seen in 211 – we have experienced an 82% increase in 211 contacts from January 26-August 31 compared to the same time period last year and a 211% increase compared to August last year
- In August, COVID-19 was the 10th top issue on crisis contacts. The top issues on COVID-19 related crisis contacts were Anxiety, Isolation/Loneliness and Family Relationships. The top issues on all crisis contacts were Anxiety, Depressed Mood, and Family Relationships
- In August, the top needs on COVID-19 related 211 contacts were Medical Equipment/Supplies, Information Sources, and Information and Referral. The top needs on all 211 contacts were the same
- In August, the top unmet needs on COVID-19 related 211 contacts were Medical Equipment/Supplies, Basic Income Maintenance Programs, and Emergency Food